Top Ten Tuesday #40: Bookish Bucket List

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week the girls at B&B think up a fun theme, and participating bloggers post their favorite 10 books in that category. This week's theme is

Top Ten Items on My Bookish Bucket List

Bookish events I want to attend: BEA, ALA, RT, Texas Teen (formerly ATBF), and UtopYA. Some of these are much more feasable than others, and some are just going to require time. For instance, I'm making Texas Teen a priority for this fall, but since I'm not in Tennessee anymore, it's difficult for me to plan for UtopYA. I'm so sad this conference started AFTER I left the state! And I do have a plan to attend ALA midwinter 2017 (Whimsical Mama Maura and I have made that a shared goal!), but obviously that's a ways away!

Authors I want to meet (this one grows constantly!): J.K. Rowling (duh), Rainbow Rowell, Gayle Forman, Sarah Ockler, Lauren DeStefano, Leigh Bardugo, Amie Kaufman, Megan Spooner, Suzanne Young. Many, many, many others! The worst thing about this list is I totally could have met Leigh last year, but at the time, I had not yet read Shadow and Bone! I feel like an idiot now because IT'S AMAZING. Derp.

Read 5000 books. I'm sure this looks like quite the tall order–and it is–but I'm 26, and I've already read over 2000 so far in my life. Will I always read with such fervor, voracity, speed or concentration? Prolly not. I mean, I do want to have a family at some point, but even then, I have no problems counting children's books.

Read more classics. I totally love YA, but I think I need to work on broadening my reading horizons and check out the books that have lasted decades and even centuries. More Jane Austen, more Russians, more Hermingway, more Faulkner. No, wait. Scratch that last. I despise Faulkner. He's off the list. More lesser-known Shakespeare? There we go.

Read all the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Super Mysteries. I know there is no possible way for me to read every reincarnation of Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys. There are so many different series for our teen detectives and there are hundreds of books in each of them–except their combined Super Mysteries, which are my favorite because they have ALL THREE. I think so far I've read half of them, and I own a few more than that. This definitely needs to happen.

Reread (and in some cases, finish) beloved series: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit + The Silmarillion, Artemis Fowl, Vampire Academy & Bloodlines, Gallagher Girls, The Little House on the Prairie. Some of these I read straight through, but most I read in installments. It would be nice to do a straight read-through of all of these.

Finish all my challenges. I've got a butt-ton (totally a real measurement) of challenges in which I'm currently participating, and I'm actually doing really well. I want to keep my progress going and complete them all!

Reach my third anniversary. My second anniversary is just a few months away (althought I'm closer to my first than my second) so it's relatively easy for me to say that I'll still be blogging by then. The tougher goal is making it through year three. I have a tendancy to get really passionate and intensely involved in different hobbies (have you noticed?), but after a fair amount of time, I usually give each hobby up for something new. I really want to stick with blogging. I feel like it's...me. Like this is my Thing. I want to prove to myself that I can stick with it.

Write a novel. I know, I know. Me and everybody else. The difference is that I don't necessarily want to publish a novel. I just want to try writing one, start to finish, soup to nuts.

Finish reading the scriptures. For those of you who don't know, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, aka a Mormon. I've referenced it vaguely a time or two on the blog here, but there it is in plain print. To be honest, I don't talk about it publicly because for me, my spirituality is a deeply personal thing, and I am not entirely comfortable discussing such a private aspect of my life in a public forum as my young adult book blog. But in this case, I have a church-y bookish challenge so I feel this is an appropriate merger for these two aspects of my life. Anywho, yes, we Mormons read the Bible (that is, the Old and New Testaments), but we also have the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine & Covenants. I have all four bound in a set of scriptures called a quad. I am probably the worst ever because I've never finished all four....and in fact, I've never finished any of them individually. Yep. The worst ever. But I'm going to fix that asap!

Well, that's my list! What's on yours? Share your lists and your links in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. This is a really great list! For some reason I have a really hard time reading classics though. I very rarely enjoy them and then that makes me feel like I'm unsophisticated and stupid :) So I typically avoid them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Nancy Drew and Hardy boys series when I was a kid. There were just so many adaptations and books that I just couldn't keep up with all. I definitely need to start reading them again.

    ReplyDelete