Weekly wrap-up: November 23 - December 27

As I'm sure you've all noticed, I took a bit of a blogging break in December. Now that I'm working six days a week between two jobs, I needed some chill time this last month. However, the new year brings another opportunity to start off fresh in all regards so here I am, getting back into the swing of things.

Oh, and since I missed celebrating my blogiversary in December, I'm just going to move the festivities (aka giveaways) to January. Hope you don't mind. :P

Completed:
Gone Too Far - Natalie D. Richards: 5 stars. Intriguing and thought-provoking, which is just how I like my NDR books. Full review to come shortly.
Rebound (Boomerang #2) - Noelle August: 4 stars. I was concerned about this book because Allison is so unlikeable in Boomerang, but she and Adam work, ahem, quite well together.
Talon (Talon #1) - Julie Kagawa: 5 stars. Love love love love this. While Blood of Eden is still my favorite series of Julie's, Talon is fresh and exiting, and I love how her passion for dragons really shines in this book. I can't wait for book 2!
"From Me to You" (Lonely Hearts Club #1.3) - Elizabeth Eulberg: 3 stars. These Lonely Hearts Club novellas were sweet, but I wanted just a bit more length and substance for them. I wanted them to have a little more story to them, but their purpose seems to be primarily to reintroduce readers to Penny Lane, her budding relationship with Ryan, and, of course, the Lonely Hearts Club. Clearly the main conflict in We Can Work It Out is going to be Penny trying to balance the club and her relationship.
Inspire (The Muse #1) - Cora Carmack: 3.5 stars. I love that Cora is trying something new with a paranormal romance, and I like using Greek mythology-inspired muses for the paranormal because while Greek mythology is not very new to fiction, muses are. I really like the characters in Inspire, but I want more of the paranormal and more conflict. Full review here.
Breaking the Rules (Pushing the Limits #1.5) - Katie McGarry: 2.5 stars. This was not quite what I expected, and thus, Breaking the Rules is not what I wanted. I was just so frustrated that Echo and Noah couldn't talk to each other. This is my least favorite in the series.
Wicked (A Wicked Saga #1) - Jennifer L. Armentrout: 4/4.5 stars. Really, REALLY like this book. The characters are so much fun, the world is interesting and alive, and the story is fully-fleshed and un-put-downable. There were a few details that I guessed early on, but Jennifer threw in enough surprises that I didn't feel cheated. So excited for book two! Full review to come.
"Until Midnight" (Alienated #1.5) - Melissa Landers: 4 stars. Very sweet novella about Cara and Aelyx's Christmas in space on the eve of their separation. I love these two together! My one complaint is that I could have done with more kissing because reasons.

Reread:
Along for the Ride audiobook - Sarah Dessen & Rachel Botchan: 3 stars. Nice audio, but nothing super special. Rachel's voice actually sounded a lot like Idina Menzel's, which was interesting.

Currently Reading:
Graceling audiobook - Kristin Cashore. This is interesting because they have a full cast for the audio in addition to some background music. It's working for me so far.
My True Love Gave to Me audiobook - Stephanie Perkins et co. Each story is read by a different narrator, which I like. So far I've listened to Rainbow's, which is narrated by the amazing Rebecca Lohman, Kelly Link's, whose narrator really brings this quirky paranormal-ish story to life, and most of Matt de la Pena's. I'm in love! 

New to my bookshelf this week:
Library:
Now that I work in a library, it's suuuuper easy for me to check stuff out myself!
My True Love Gave to Me audiobook - Stephanie Perkins et co
Graceling audiobook - Kristin Cashore
Anna & the French Kiss audiobook - Stephanie Perkins
Landline - Rainbow Rowell
Even In Paradise - Chesey Philpot
They All Fall Down - Roxanne St. Claire
Scarlet (Scarlet #1) - A.C. Gaughen
The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles #4) - Kady Cross

Bought:
B&N:
Most of these were gifts, but the last two are mine.
Champion (Legend #3) - Marie Lu
Play (Stage Dive #2) - Kylie Scott
Shape of My Heart (2B #3) - Ann Aguirre
Unraveled (Crewel World #1) - Gennifer Albin
The Polar Express - Chris Van Allsberg
Bitterblue (Graceling #3) - Kristin Cashore
A Mad Wicked Folly - Sharon Biggs Waller
A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird #1) - Claudia Gray
 
Amazon:
*buys ALL the novellas* No, really. I also pre-ordered a ton of stuff.
Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys - Kate Brian. I love this book dearly so when I saw it was a Kindle deal of the day, I had to snag an ecopy!
"Outcast" (Defiance #0.5) - C.J. Redwine. I haven't read this trilogy yet, but I want to binge it soon!
The Outlanders (Fulfillment Saga #2) - Erin Rhew
"Until Midnight" (Alienated #1.5) - Melissa Landers. LOVE this series!
"The Queen" (Selection #0.4) - Kiera Cass
"From Me to You" (Lonely Hearts Club #1.3) - Elizabeth Eulberg
Kiro's Emily (Rosemary Beach #10) - Abbi Glines
Wicked (A Wicked Saga #1) - Jennifer L. Armentrout (ebook & paperback)

Half Price Books:
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Earthbound (Earthbound #1) - Aprilynne Pike
Die for Me, Until I Die, If I Should Die (Revenants #1-3) - Amy Plum
Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3) - Rachel Hawkins
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
All These Things I've Done (Birthright #1) - Gabrielle Zevin
Proxy (Proxy #1) - Alex London
A Wirld Without Princes (The School for Good and Evil #2) - Soman Chainani
Hallowed (Unearthly #2) - Cynthia Hand

Book Outlet:
The Winner's Curse (Winner's Trilogy #1) - Marie Rutkoski
Sekret (Sekret #1) - Lindsay Smith
Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend (Broken Hearts & Revenge #1) - Katie Finn
Something Real - Heather Demetrios
Nil (Nil #1) - Lynne Matson
(and more Book Outlet books coming because BOXING DAY SALE!)

Gifts:

The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #3) - Michelle Hodkin. Thanks to my BFF Maura of The Whimsical Mama for this beautiful book + loaning me Burning Kingdoms by Lauren DeStefano + my awesome MTSU-inspired hat & scarf PLUS a surprise Epic Reads *book shimmy* tote signed by Laini Taylor and Jim di Bartolo (I ship them so hard)! <3
A Little Something Different - Sandy Hall. This one is thanks to my dear friend Lili of Lili's Reflections!
A Little Something Different - Sandy Hall. This copy is thanks to the lovely Kelly of Effortlessly Reading aka whatisakelly.
Five Flavors of Dumb - Antony John & The Pout-Pout Fish - Deborah Diesen & Dan Hanna. Both of these are from Christina of Ensconced in Lit, who is absolutely darling. I forgot to add these to my book haul picture! :(
Many thanks to Diamond of Dee's Reads for my TBTBSanta package, which held Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski, A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall, and Storm Born by Richelle Mead plus two gorgeous nail polishes and a book light!
On the Fence - Kasie West & A Little Something Different - Sandy Hall. I'm not quite sure who this package is from because I haven't figured it out yet, but this is another Secret Santa I participated in. Thank you, mystery Santa!
Spells (Wings #2) - Aprilynne Pike, The Reckoning (The Taker Trilogy #2) - Alma Katsu & The Rogue (Traitor Spy Trilogy #2) - Trudi Canavan. These are from my sister, who read the descriptions and thought they sounded like books I'd like.
Altered Perceptions  - Dan Wells (plus BrandSand, Ally Condie, Lauren Oliver, Claudia Gray, Aprilynne Pike, Kiersten White, Shannon Hale, and more!). My brother supported the Indiegogo campaign for this anthology, and he gave me both his rewards: this and a 20 minute phone call with Lauren Oliver (which happened about 3 months ago, but it deserves a second mention because duh)!
Looking for Alaska - John Green (signed). My new boss Kristin gave me this. I LOVE working in a library!
Slow Cooker Quickfixes & Cooking Light Complete Cookbook. I am quite the hopeless cook so my mom keeps throwing cookbooks at me in the hopes that I will figure what the heck I'm doing in the kitchen.

For the record, I think it is ironic and awesome that I ended up with four copies of the same book. I mean, this is me we're talking about. I have duplicates of everything! Thank you all for your generosity and friendship! <3

1 comment:

  1. OH WOW! Great haul!!! Lots of great gifts/reads there! I enjoyed the Dark Swan Series by Richelle Mead! And Mara Dyer was incredible! Hope you enjoy all of these!!!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete