Waiting on Wednesday: A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases.



A Reaper at the Gates
An Ember in the Ashes #3
by Sabaa Tahir
Coming April 24 May 22, 2018
Razorbill


Summary:
Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.

The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister’s life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.

Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she’d have to fight.

And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias’s devotion—even at the cost of his humanity.

Why I Want It:
First of all, I love Helene so seeing my girl front and center on this cover? GIMME IT RIGHT EFFING NOW. I think she's even more stuck than the others—like obviously Laia wants to fight the Empire and she CAN outright rebel, and Elias is the golden boy so he just does whatever the heck he wants, but Helene... Helene already watched [spoiler: that Thing that happened in Torch] and she's just stuck being Blood Shrike for this total asshole douche of an Emperor. And Torch did NOT answer some questions I had burning from Ember and in fact, gave me MORE questions so DANG IT, I NEED ANSWERS. *bangs fist emphatically on desk*

Why I think you should want it:
This series is so cool. It's a Roman-inspired fantasy with dueling people, teen gladiators, a deadly Triwizard/Hunger Games-esque tournament where even the winners are losers, and lots of magic. Plus, it has one of the most evil and awful and fantastic love-to-hate-her villains since Voldemort/Bellatrix Lestrange. You've never rooted so hard for an evil bitch to get what's coming to her.


5 comments:

  1. Yaaasss!!! Sooooo cannot wait for this one! The wait has been killing me!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooooooow! I read Torch Against the Night super early so I'll basically have waited two years for Reaper. I'm dying!

      Delete
  2. For some reason I thought this came out when the new covers were released. Happy to know that I'm not behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! We've still got a few months to go, and I can't wait!

      Delete
  3. This doesn't look like the show "Reaper" (which I loved)! It looks like there's a lot of exciting Roman-style action! Should be good!

    ReplyDelete